Siouxland Libraries Main Branch
Room: Conference Room in the north east part of the library.
Date: Wednesday, January 16, 2019
Time: 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- Talked about Sushi-Masa, the problems of eating smart animals like octopi, and how mind-numbing commercials are.
- Neo-vim has saner defaults than regular vim.
- Jackson whipped out his vim config file and everyone gasped.
- Everyone agreed that the window manager Unity was just horrible.
- Jackson thinks GSConnect is great. It syncs an Android OS and a Gnome desktop. It allows sharing of various kinds of information between the two devices. Things like volume control, media control, clipboard sharing, and running commands on the other machine. It is based on KDE Connect.
- Algo VPN is a set of Ansible scripts that simplify the setup of a personal WireGuard and IPsec VPN.
- Streisand is like Algo.
- Wireguard is good shit. OpenVPN is less good. It has had some integrations problems.
- IPsec is god-awful.
- ClearOS used to be a VPN thing.
- Nextcloud is a fork of ownCloud made by the original ownCloud developer.
- OpenIndiana is a fork of OpenSolaris and is terrible, according to Opello.
- Opello wants to use ZFS for his network file server.
- Oracle OS is reskinned CentOS.
- Panorama View and Snooze Tabs are add-ons for Firefox that people use and enjoy.
- Jackson is a "1 percenter" for Firefox Pocket. Pocket used to be great at text-to-speech for articles.
- LastPass and 1Password are password managers.
- Someone said they bypass storing credentials on their repo by using 1Password.
- Boto is a python library for AWS.
- Jackson showed us some Ansible configurations.
- ssh-keyscan, part of OpenSSH is a thing Opello uses so he doesn't have to constantly accept keys for containers.
- People who use SaltStack think Ansible is the devil.