Siouxland Libraries Main Branch
Room: Main Meeting Room B
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2013
Time: 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM
- Next meeting is to be in January instead of December to avoid
interfering with holiday plans.
- We spoke a little about different filesystems such as ZFS, ext3,
ext4, btrfs, ReiserFS and ZFS.
- PyPy was brought up as a faster implementation
of the python interpreter.
- It is a good time to try LFS
(Linux From Scratch) because recently both it and
BLFS had major releases,
which doesn't often happen. This is significant because more
packages will likely be tested.
- SparkleShare is a privately hostable,
Dropbox-like system that uses Git as the storage back-end and ssh
- Cryptocat was brought up, but not
- 0bin was brought up in discussion, it is a
pastebin that encrypts the
portion of the
(GitHub) came up in
conversation, but wasn't widely used.
- Sabayon came up as a distribution easier
to get started with than Gentoo.
- We watched a video for elementary OS.
- SmartOS came up, but no one had used it yet.
OpenIndiana also came up.
- Minimal Linux distributions came up, including
- node.js was also a topic of some discussion.
- Other programming related discussion included
- There was some Perl discussion, that segued
into good programming practices.
- System services and daemons were also discussed, which brought up
Monit and M/Monit.